Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK

I got Terri a book on Martin Luther King one time. One of those coffee table books, you know big and bulky that they have near the check out line at Barnes and Noble. She loves what his life stood for, probably more than most young white women. I of the things I instantly saw different about her was she didn't seem to have preconceived notions about people. No stereotypes, prejudices, or bad feelings but love seemed to spring from her eyes when speaking of people of different ethnicity. I loved that and still do because I believe I am a recovering racist. I never acted it out in violence or joined a white supremacist group. I did however join in jokes, promoted stereotypes, and felt somehow superior to other races and nationalities. It all changed when I met Jesus Christ; I felt the depths of how ruined I was as a person. I understood that all the hatred I had toward others was fear of my own inadequacy. Perfect love drove out that fear and I saw that all people are the same before God. Terri had the eyes that I hoped to see people with, free of all hatred, but jumping out was God love. She was my guidepost to take me where I wanted to go. God has taken me a long way and I give Him honor. Praise God for my wife that inspired me to change and my Savior that empower me to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment