Monday, December 15, 2008

Muffled Alarm Clocks

Last night I had one of those night where I went to sleep but then woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. I think the reason could have been all the thoughts running through my head from work, Christmas plans, hope for my family and my current relationship with Jesus. It was like millions of quick thoughts everywhere and only a few got funneled down so that could I focus on them more than a few seconds. It seems that going back to sleep gets all those thoughts stuck in your brain because I couldn't remember anything except for one thought.

This thought is memorable because as I was laying there rolling back and forth to go to sleep I started to hear an alarm going off. It wasn't loud but sounded like it was being muffled by a pillow that we probably put on it one morning. This alarm has been going off for weeks, if not more, and Terri and I have slept through it each and every night. It is like we are currently numb to it. In that moment God used it to explain some of the frustration I have in being called to pastor. I love what I do but I am required to talk a lot. I see speaking about God as an honor and really get fired up about each opportunity. At times I feel like my alarm clock it has been heard so many times by the same people that they get numb and sleep right through it. I feel like God wants me to share about real faith not a rule keeping religion. The message is often is muffled by hurts, fears, pressure from parents, and friends. I think the pillow quieting the alarm in our hearts I see the most is people trying to earn God's grace by acting right, speaking right, not doing the things they shouldn't. Yet is all activity they are missing Jesus because they must maintain juggling all they good things they feel they have to do. Jesus is not impressed if you don't cuss, steal, and are kind and nice. We often forget cleaning the outside is easy but inside our heart is broken beyond repair. Whenever you feel called to be a spiritual alarm clock it is frustrating beyond what words can express for certain influences to detract from the clarity especially holy activities and Christian bubbles. I pray daily that God would anoint me with supernatural wisdom and leadership that comes through the Holy Spirit to enlighten (Eph 1:18) our sinful hearts and move people to a deeper gratefulness for the Cross of Christ.

I rest on this, God makes spiritual hearts grow not me. What a relief! (1 Corinth 3:6)

God my hope is in Your mercy.

Now off to locate the alarm!

No comments:

Post a Comment