Monday, March 9, 2009

Challenging thoughts

I have been reading through some books about other religions it has been great to refine some what I believe. I not doing it out of fun but out of requirements of a class I am taking in seminary. I have been wrestling through why I believe as I do and what, as a pastor, are those questions that should be prepared to answer. Though most of the questions are not new to me it seems with age comes different angles with which you approach the questions. Some examples that have stretched

What about those people that have no access gospel like babies, mentally handicapped, or people before Christ lived?

Isn't religious affiliation always a function of where you grow up? If you lived in India I am sure you would be Hindu right?

In A.D. 100 about .5 percent of the world population was Christian, in A.D. 1000 19%, in A.D. 1988 31%. Does it make sense to believe that God wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of himself only through Christ?

Dont other religions have just as honorable ethical standards?

How would you answer those questions and have you asked them lately? I don't know what to think on some of them but do hold to the conviction that Jesus is the way, truth, and the life. Love this quote by John Calvin: we should leave alone what God has left hidden, but not neglect what he has brought into the open.

No comments:

Post a Comment