Thursday, February 12, 2009

What is love?

Last night I shared something God put on my heart with the youth. It was about true love and often we place all our hopes on other people to make us happy and complete. We hope that people can hold our world together. Then I heard this Taylor Swift song "Breathe" on httl://www.pandora.com that spoke to this feeling. Here are some lyrics. I highlighted the statements I found interesting:

Music starts playin' like the end of a sad movie
It's the kinda ending you don't really wanna see
'Cause it's tragedy and it'll only bring you down
Now I don't know what to be without you around

And we know it's never simple, never easy
Never a clean break, no one here to save me
You're the only thing I know like the back of my hand

And I can't breathe Without you, but I have to
Breathe
Without you, but I have to

So many people, like the girl in the song, place so much of their identity in the person with which they have a relationship. And when things end or people change their minds those people are without hope, confused, and in need of someone to rescue them. I was so guilty of that in High School trying to escape pressures and insecurities by placing all my cares and identity around my girlfriend. I wanted her to save me from fear and sadness. Both of us looking for things that the other person can't provide. Giving way to much away to get what will never be found in that relationship. It took me so long to figure out that people, even great people, don't have the capacity to hold your world together.

Colossians 1 says speaking of Jesus that:
15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Praise God everything is held together. God holds my life together. My marriage, my son, or my job cannot do that for me. Nothing or No one can fix my world but Jesus. I pray so much for me and the students at we would understand because it would save us such heartache. After we understand how to be loved can we love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment