Monday, February 9, 2009

Buying Experiences

Money burns a hole in my pocket. If I have money I want to spend it. Often when I am done I wonder why I have nothing tangible to show for it. I believe Terri and I are wise with our money but like most people we want new floors, lawn furniture, and cell phones. I realize money and things don't make us happy but often I need reminders. This reminder came from San Francisco State, they did a study and posted an article about where to invest your money. They, rightly, said in life experiences. Here are a few lines from the article.

The study demonstrates that experiential purchases, such as a meal out or theater tickets, result in increased well-being because they satisfy higher order needs, specifically the need for social connectedness and vitality -- a feeling of being alive.

Funny thing, In Genesis God says it is not good for man to be alone. Connection with other people brings a full life. Why do we make money decisions on personal wants not relationship needs? We choose poorly so often and we wonder why life is mundane and boring. Purchases go to things that distance us from those people we desperately need a strong relationship with. Items like video games and ipods instead of board games and gas money for trips. The study continues:

Experiences also lead to longer-term satisfaction. "Purchased experiences provide memory capital," Howell said. "We don't tend to get bored of happy memories like we do with a material object."

I desire more memory capital and a life full of happy memories. New floors will make me happy for a few days but a trip to see friends in Washington would provide life to my soul. I wish I could keep this in my mind but it often flies away. Like a balloon in Tripp’s hand without a firm grip it will fly away and he is sure to be sad and maybe cry. Without a firm grip on good on wise stewardship we will fly away into selfish spending creating a life full of emotional lows and sometimes tears. Lord help us be wise spenders of time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment