Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sinking

What do you do when you feel like you are drifting in your relationship with God? It feels to me like I am in spiritual quicksand that keeps pulling me down where I can't reach Him anymore. For me anger, self control, and fear start to become problems. I struggle to get those sins under control it feels like a hopeless battle, pulling me down deeper, which leaves me feeling more distant. This is so real for me right now.

I am grateful I stumbled upon a book from John Piper today just to get my head right before I jumped into reading the Bible it was called "When I Don't desire God". I had read it before so I was just reading the areas I highlighted. I love this line I highlighted dealing with this problem of fighting to get rid of sin:

"The power of sin comes from its promise of pleasure and is meant to be defeated by the blood-bought promise of superior pleasure in God, not by raw human willpower. Willpower religion, when it succeeds, gets glory for the will. I produces legalists, not lovers."

I am quitting working in my power to make things right and instead running into true love. Not struggling in the quicksand and just let his love pull me up. I am repulsed by legalists probably because that is how I am working right now. I am so guilty of trying to save myself by fixing my problems. At least for today- All to Jesus I surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment