Monday, June 29, 2009

Friends

I am back from some crazy weeks. Last week I was down by UT all week but on my way heard bad news on two fronts. One kid I used to work with at Heartlight committed suicide and some good friends lost a baby at 22 weeks. Left me swirling with thoughts in my head. Friends called and wanted to talk about the situations but I had nothing to offer as far as wisdom. Mark Buchanan in a book called "Hidden In Plain Sight" says "Dogma is great for piecing together your theology but an awful suture to a broken heart." I knew all the right thoughts about God last week but sharing those would come across trite and lazy. I know it was better to just sit with people and not share what you know but it is hard. In the Old Testament the Hebrew people would sit and mourn with people for 7 days before sharing anything, that is what happens in the book of Job. So, I will continue to sit, mourn, and pray for them this week. I hope people will be there to do that for us when we go through trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment